Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Jigging for Browns at Fontenelle!


A few weeks ago I was fishing with a friend and I got completely humbled! I can usually pull my weight and then some when it comes to catching the numbers and quality fish but on that day I got beat on pretty much every level. I watched him closely and quickly picked up on his strategy.  He introduced to me a new way of fishing with jigs that I had honestly not considered.  Typically when fishing with jigs I would simply cast them AFAP (as far as possible), leave my bail open and allow them to sink straight down to the bottom. I would usually employ a fast and aggressive retrieve, jigging hard and allowing a brief pause while reeling in the slack.  Jeremy taught me a new technique: begin a slow retrieve immediately after the jig hits the water, use quick but very short switches of the rod only a few times per cast, be prepared for very soft hits and set the hook hard  If I hadn’t personally seen him tear into two great rainbows on the first and second casts, I wouldn’t have adjusted my fishing strategy.  
A few weeks later I was back to the same reservoir where Jeremy and I fished but in a slightly different area. I was accompanied by Shaun and Jason (aka Boogs) Harris, who are always great company and fun to fish with!  I went with a 3/8 oz.  black jig and followed the technique I just described.  The water was very murky and most of the fish were in the upper column of water. We started catching great fish like these right away and within a short time we had hooked into six browns.  Had Jason not decided to take a nosedive off the ice sheet and into the icy water we may have been able to catch a few more! All things considered, it was another awesome day on the water!






No comments:

Post a Comment