Thursday, February 20, 2014

On Thin Ice

After several attempts, Paul and I finally were able to get together and make in out on the ice. The ice was about five inches thick but after a week of warm temperatures and a strong breeze the quality and strength of the ice was deteriorating quickly.  We fished for just over an hour when we decided that our safety was at stake and we called it a day.  Good thing we left when we did because on the way back the ice had cracked and begun to separate.  The thrill of catching great fish like these can be taken away by a tragic accident or a cold swim in icy water. Fish hard but be safe!
 
 
2/17/2014 "Todd took me out fishing for lake trout. The ice was questionable, but Todd reassured me the risk would be worth the reward. The ice seemed fine as we walked out. We got to Todd’s spot and he showed me how to correctly jig for the big lakers. Todd handed me the rod and said to keep jigging while he set up another pole. I had only been jigging about 10 minutes when I felt that unmistakable tug. I’ll never forget the feeling of setting that hook and feeling the weight of the fish down below. After about a 15 minute fight, we were able to pull him out of the hole. It was an incredible experience, one I will not soon forget. Now back to the ice… after about an hour of being there the ice really starting popping. Cracks were running past us and we decided it was time to call it. As we were walking back to the trucks the ice got worse, a pressure ridge with now open water had opened up that we had to cross, there were some tense moments, but it was all part of the experience! Todd’s knowledge of catching big lake trout was truly a sight to see. Thanks Todd"
-PRJ
 

No comments:

Post a Comment