Sunday, February 23, 2014

Fishers of Men: Dominion Over the Fish

Calintaan, Mindoro Isand, Philippines
Sundays are a day for me to go to church, relax, and spend time with the family. Like many of you I try my best to keep the Sabbath day holy and to focus on others.  I rarely, if ever, fish on Sundays as my way of honoring the designated day to rest from our labors.  I also enjoy reading from the scriptures and other inspirational literature which I strive to do every day but especially on Sundays.  Often I run into quotes that strike me and cause me to ponder.  A recent one was from the Book of Genesis. In the first few chapters we learn about the creation of the earth. From Genesis 1:20-21 we learn, "God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life... and God saw that it was good."  God decreed it and it was done; He made the fish in the seas.  In verse 26, God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness, and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea..."       Now, isn't that interesting?  The very next phrase that God spoke after he created Adam was in connection with his responsibility and stewardship to the fish of the sea.  I don't know about you but I think I will see to it that I will follow that charge and exercise my dominion over the fish of the sea!  Fishing pretty much comes down to obedience, really.  I'll tell that to my wife next time I want to go fishing!
Beach near Naic, Philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment